Monday 7 August 2017


Celtic FC unveil Sir Kevin Wallace as their new manager.

Celtic Football Club have formally unveiled their new manager this morning…Sir Kevin Wallace joins the Hoops after spells at Marseille, Boca Juniors and West Bromwich Albion. The new manager joins on a three year contract and it is the hope of the club that this appointment will allow continued growth for the club following on from the very successful period under the previous manager who left the club for pastures new following delivery of the Division 4 title.

Sir Kevin issued a statement to the media at the press conference:

‘It is an honour and a privilege to follow Ruts as manager of Glasgow Celtic, this club is steeped in tradition and Ruts took it to a new level in his time here, they are big boots to fill and I hope to continue his work in taking Celtic to future success. Having looked at the squad there is little need for a major overhaul, the players here are all capable of performing in Division three and I very quickly realised that the foundations need little attention. I did discuss one aspect with the chairman which was the lack of home grown Scottish players and we have moved quickly to add a few Scots lads to the wider squad, I am especially delighted to bring Leigh Griffiths to the club. Leigh has huge potential to be a real asset to the club going forward and the fact he was being kept captive in a cupboard at Ibrox it was a no brainer to pay his ransom and set him free.

We will use the friendlies before the new season starts for me to get to know the lads, results don’t really matter as much as finding out what does and doesn’t work and then have a plan in place for day one of the new season. That process started last night against AC Milan and will continue right up till the new seasons first games.

Taking a Division Five team last season to a Cup Semi-Final was probably what got me noticed by the board here, teams in the bottom division aren’t meant to reach semi-finals far less dispatch teams like Dortmund and Liverpool along the way and then just miss out to Juventus in the semi, I’m proud of the rebuilding job I did at West Brom and I look forward to working with my new squad to bring success to Celtic Park in the years ahead’


Following questions from the media Sir Kevin was asked about the comments made following last night’s friendly with AC Milan by Sir Stephen Beddows the Milan manager in which he claimed Sir Kevin had prior connections with Celtic and would be a disastrous appointment because of it.

‘Last night’s game was a friendly, a work out, a getting to know each other exercise for me and the players, the result means nothing to anyone as long as we all learned something. With regard to the comments in the media from that Beddows fella, well for a start I’ve only ever supported two teams in my life as a fan, neither of which was Celtic so I’ve no idea where he gets the fan becoming manager stuff from…listen I don’t really get into the personal stuff but I would point out that it takes a massive talent to take a club with the resources and world class players of Milan and get them relegated…how many times now? I’d say to the Beddows fella that I’ll do my job here and I’d suggest he focusses on his job in Milan, there should be enough going on there for him without involving others’


And with a smile and a wink Sir Kevin left the press conference…headlines written… 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Kev - the club is in good hands, no doubt, and I'll be keeping an eye on your progress once I'm back from gardening leave...

    ReplyDelete