Monday 13 June 2016

VIEW FROM THE HAWTHORNS

BBC 5 Live Reporter Pat Murphy caught up with the West Brom manager on Monday Morning.

Pat – Thanks Mark for sparing us some time.



Mark – No problem Pat just left Big Sam and LVG talking about the European Championships over a bottle or 3 of Red Wine. Cannot be long or they finished it all.

Pat – Right in the few weeks you have been here can you give us some thoughts on the club.

Mark – Well when the Chairman (Jeremy Peace – what a nice man) approached me to take on the club, having just been relegated. He made it clear that a return to Division 4 was his main priority ( did not specify a time limit at that time) but that limited funds were available.

Pat – So why take on this difficult assignment.

Mark – Well I had 2 great , but tough years with FC Twente and felt a need to move on. This opportunity came up and I felt it was right for me.

Pat – So 3 weeks in what can you tell us.

Mark – As I think with most clubs the aim is for a top 10 finish and I and chairman have gone on record as that is our aim. It will be very hard as there are great clubs in this division and all have strength there squads during the close season.

League - We have played 3 games and in 2 of them had a player sent of. I thought in the first game Jack Cork was very unlucky to go to a straight red. I can have no augments about Jonathan Biabiany's . If you go in with studs showing then you are taking a risk.
It is difficult to set a formation when key players are out. Plus some players are struggling fitness wise form one week to another.
2 draws is not great, but shows also how hard this division is. Every team has at least one point .

Pat - What about the Playing staff

Mark – Well I thought we need some extra cover in attack and also the defence needed strength. Hence certain players I have had to let go, including the experienced Darren Fletcher.
I think it is too early to single out players who have done well.

World Club Cup – This has of course to be a low priority and I will be using fringe players in these matches. Any positive result will be a bonus for us.

Youth Cup – We have a lot of very young players who may progress over the next 2/3 seasons. Harrison Reed I have high hopes for. But again the strength/quality of other teams is well above us – some of there youngsters would be first team players at our club.
So again any positive result is a bonus for us.

Pat – Finally any thoughts on the other sides in your division.

Mark – Well not surprising I guess but I expect RSC Anderlecht and Celtic to be at the top and I know it is early yet but was impressed by Celta Vigo. I am sure I have another view later in the season.

Pat – Thanks for your time and hopefully we speak again soon.


Mark – Yes, must get back now before they finish the wine of. An WTHORNS

2 comments: