Friday 20 May 2016

Goodbye Twente and Hello WBA



Sunderland manager Sam Allardyce celebrates after the final whistle
Former Twente Manager Mark Deadman saved his job on the last day of the season with a point v Augsburg and then quit

Review

Well what a finish to season 2 for me with Twente. It of course has been a tough season for  me and  i guess the last seasons.


I made a decision at the beginning of the season to look at the 10 loan players that came back to me. Of course we got of to a terrible start  conceding  3-5 goals  per game. Ironically our keeper was still getting MOM awards.

It took to almost half way through the season to try and halt the slide and bring in some experience players. Not all of these have been a success, and I guess very few in the end. One of the lesser players for me who did well was Van Der Linden.
I also  tried to develop a youth policy with the club and hope that is something for the future.

I  certainly made a number of mistakes  this season, but some how we  struggled through. The squad has quantity  and perhaps not quality. With a small budget i think the squad needs reducing.

This was all in my mind when I met the chairman this morning and I made the decision it was time for a new man at the helm to  move this great little club forward.

Future

The opportunity to  manager  WBA  came  at the same time and although they are in the same division now  I felt  it the right club for me .
I look forward to meeting the players and  seeing what changes we may make for  a very difficult up coming season.


I have used Big Sam as the great escape man, and the fact I am only slightly older than him. I can confirm that I do not look like him (thankfully).

As some may know I am based in Romania now - combination of business and retirement  here and an adopted grandson keeps me very busy.

Used to work for BT for over 30 years and come form SE London / North Kent.  Starting in Plumstead  and ending in Bexleyheath.
 My first club was Charlton until they  moved  from the valley and I moved to Non League football - Welling United.
Ironic both clubs relegated this season.

Finally as has been mention T100 has and will continue to be a great success due to the top team led by Frank and of course every other manager.




1 comment:

  1. Cracking read Mark you did a great job with Twente

    ReplyDelete